Wednesday, 23 May 2012

How time flys!!

It's been over 2 weeks since my last blog and its seems that alot has happened in that time so I hope I can remember everything!! I made a rule to myself when I set this up to blog at least twice a week but things have been so busy lately, what with the new job and everthing, it has been hard to find the time. I therefore apologise to my usual subscribers (all two of you!!) for going awol however I will try my best to blog as often as possible!!

As mentioned it has been a very busy two weeks. I am starting to find my feet now in my new job, which is good as there is alot of work to do! It was a bit overwhelming at first however now I have had some time to digest everything I am becoming more comfortable with my responsibilties. Its been very challenging and I've had a couple of frustrating days but in general everything is going well. Outside of work I have been just as busy! Aicha and I are still appartment hunting and we have been spending time at the weekends attending public viewings. We have seen some nice places but nothing we have been prepared to bid for. We are looking at a newly built appartment tomorrow and have few more over the weekend so hopefully we will find something soon!

Over the last week the weather has been really nice here so I have been trying to make the most it. Last Thursday was a public holiday and it was a really hot day so we spent the day in the walking around in the city. We walked around for ages, mostly down by the water side. I got a couple photos on our travels, one in particular of a ship docked in the harbour. The reason it caught my eye was because it had a british colonial flag and seemed to be a cross between a warship and a yacht..........!!

On the Friday evening I had been invited to go with our friend Calle to watch Hammarby play against Assyriska FF. Hammarby are a professional football team based in Stockholm and are considered by the supporters to be 'The Peoples Club'. I had previously been to watch AIK, who are the biggest club in Stockholm, but this was a different experience all together! We met close to the stadium at one of the local supporter pubs at around 5pm and there was no looking back! The beers were flowing straight away!! The game kicked off at 7:20pm (strange time for a kick off I know) so we had a full 2 hours to kill. The pub we were in was the cheapest I have been to since I came to Sweden. The beer sold there cost less than it does in the UK so as you can imagine I had to do a double take when I saw the price!! I found out that the pub only has those prices on matchdays so I had to make the most of it...............but whilst I can drink a bit, I am nothing compared to Calle!! That guy is in a different league! By the end of night I was struggling to keep up!

The game itself was pretty poor and Hammarby lost 2-0. The main highlight (if you can call it that!) was a tear up between a section of home fans and the fuzz! The game was stopped for 20 mins whilst the police tried to control things. I wasn't standing that far away from where it was kicking off and there were even guys barging passed me just so they could get involved. The riot police then showed up and started whacking people which added to the disruption. Whilst I don't condone football violence it certainly made things more interesting!! It was only a small section of supporters who were involved, which is normally the case when this happens. Generally the supporters were brilliant. Even when the oppostion scored the fans never stopped singing! They were mid song when the ball hit the net and they didn't even flinch!! It wasn't the biggest ground in the world but it certainly had atmosphere........

After the game we went for more beers but as time when on I was getting more and more worried about getting home. I had to get the tube to a nearby town which took around 30 mins then take a bus but the problem was there were no buses running from the train station during the early hours!! Calle kept telling me not to worry and that he would get me home, but by 1am I was finished so I had to throw in the towel!! Anyone who has been out with me in the UK knows I am prone to the odd disappearing act. By that I mean I quietly slide off and go home without saying goodbye to anyone................mainly because I don't want to give them the opportunity to convince me to stay!! Suffice to say Saturday was a bit of a write off but thanks Calle for a great Friday evening!!

Things with the Tudor Arms Football Team are going really well. I have played 3 times since I last blogged and each time we have won. My unbeaten run continues and touch wood it stays that way!! My most recent game was last night and we won 9-1! As you can imagine I was merely a spectator for most of the game..............but the strange thing was that I was the only player to pick up an injury!! I twisted my ankle after landing awkwardly but hopefully it well ease off before we play our next game. The club photographer was at the game yesterday and took a photo of the team and some individual photos for the club website. If you are interested in the club you can visit the club website at   The site is in swedish so the best thing to do is search for the website in google and select the hyperlink which says 'translate this page'.
Thats pretty much all from me. roll on the weekend..............!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment