Monday, 9 July 2012

Happy Birthday Wifey!!

On Friday my wife celebrated her 30th birthday so like the loving husband and true gentleman I am, I decided to treat her to a few things to celebrate this milestone in her life. The idea of turning 30 was playing on her mind a bit so I thought we should do something fun................besides, I think 30 is the new 20 anyway!! Aicha is on a two week break from work at the moment so I decided to book a couple of days off so we could spend her birthday together properly.

I booked us into health spa on the Thursday afternoon for a full body massage then we would be spending the night in a hotel in the city, with dinner in a fancy restaurant booked for the evening. We arrived at the spa around 2pm and spent a couple of hours in there.................and to be honest I didn't want to leave!! I was so relaxed I could have fallen asleep....................which is exactly what Aicha did!! This is the second time I have been to this particular spa and it certainly won't be the last!! Believe or not the thing I enjoyed the most was when I had my hands massaged. It must have something to do with me being a goalkeeper because I didn't realise how tense the muscles in my hands were until then. Next time I go I might just ask for a hand massage...................although if I did they might think I was some sort of weirdo!!

After the spa we headed to the hotel which was located right in the centre of the city in an area called Slussen. Following our trip to the spa we were completely zoned out so we chilled out on the balcony for a couple hours with a few glasses of wine. We had quite a good view of the water from where we were so it was a nice way to relax before we headed out for dinner. I also got the opportunity to showcase my interviewing skill when I asked the birthday girl about her day so far............


We then made the short walk into Gamla Stan (Old Town) where were to have dinner at a restaurant called Kryp In. The journey to the restaurant was made all the more interesting by Aicha having to walk along the guttering to avoid getting her heels caught in the cobbled pavement! The restaurant itself was quite cosy but seeing as it was a warm evening we decided to sit outside. We both ordered the Archipelago Mix to start, which was a mix of shrimps, smoked salmon, cheese, dill and red onion served with toast. This was accompanied by the customary alcoholic beverage, with this evenings choice being pear cider. The starter was really nice but the main course what followed was a little bit disappointing. I ordered the roasted duck breast with risotto and Aicha ordered the beef tenderloin, but both unfortunately were under par. My risotto had too much cheese in it and the sauce was too overpowering, which meant that you couldn't really taste the duck. Aicha's beef was not seasoned and was drowned in too much sauce!! I'm not a fussy eater but I was a little peeved about this................suffice to say they did not get a tip!! Still it didn't put a dampener on the evening, because as soon as we left the restaurant we hit a local ice cream parlour then sat down by the water side to watch the world go by................







The next morning we had breakfast at the hotel then checked out. I had arranged to take Aicha shopping as part of her birthday present so it was staight of to Ahlens (thats a Swedish department store to you folks in the UK) to pick up some girly things. Luckily for me Aicha doesn't spend ages in the shops so after a quick visit to the make up department and The Body Shop, my work there was done! Next on the agenda was the hairdressers. Aicha had said that she didn't need many things from the shops but she need a haircut. I personally didn't think she needed one but then again what do I know! After the hairdressers we headed back home where we had a nice family meal in the afternoon and sang happy birthday!

On the Saturday we had a party at the local commune, which is a small hall that can be hired by the surrounding residents. The party kicked off around 5:30pm and was attended by Aicha's family and close friends. We ordered in lebanese food from a catering company and there was plenty of drink following our booze cruise to Finland! The party was a real good laugh and it was great seeing everybody again. We ended up coming home around 11pm, with me feeling a little worse for wear!! Yesterday was a bit of a write off for me as I spent the majority of the day in bed! There was however plenty of food left over as well so I was able to get the better of my hangover munchies!!










Today is Monday so it was back to work for me, but it wasn't such great day as I have got a cold! It has been really hot here recently even though the sun hasn't shining much. The air has been really humid which is why I think have suddenly got this cold. I was also been bitten 3 or 4 times over the weekend by insects so I spent most of today trying to refrain from scratching!! Still, I hear it has been raining none stop back home so I shouldn't complain!!

No comments:

Post a Comment