Tuesday, 14 August 2012

Birthday boy!

Over the past week my time has generally been spent working, catching up with the Olympics or watching my new favourite TV show 'Entourage'. Aicha and I have just finished watching the entire series so we need to begin watching a new series to fill the void. Aicha recently bought herself the 'Sex in the City' box set which she has now begun to watch. Whilst this isn't my ideal replacement I'm not ashamed to say that I too am watching it....................mainly because I have no choice!!

I was especially looking forward to the weekend as not only was it the long overdue return of football with the Tudor Arms but Sunday was also my 31st birthday. The plan for Saturday was play football, hit the pub with my team mates then head home for a relaxing evening....................but it didn't quite pan out that way........................I got to play football and go to the pub at least!!

Our match was played against a side called Ayacucho, who were a team made up of primarily South Americans. We had played them at home earlier in the season and won 4-0 but somehow I didn't think this game would be quite as straight forward...................and I was right! From the start they had most of the possession and after about 10 minutes they were a goal to the good. However, as we began to get more of a foothold in the game things became more aggressive. There were dirty fouls happening all over the place and I even took dig in the ribs from one of them when catching a cross...................but worse was yet to come...........

About 10 minutes into the second half with the score still 1-0, the ball was played through into our box for their striker to run onto, which prompted me to leave my goal to claim the ball. As I went to ground and got my hands on the ball, their striker preceded to stamp on my head as he jumped over me......................I'm all for playing hard but that took the piss! Hard but fair is my rule. As I got up I had blood running down my ear and a massive headache.


I felt like giving the guy a whack as I squared up to him, but thought better of it in the end...................not just because we were losing and I could get sent off but more because we were on their patch and who knows what would have happened if it kicked off!! I probably looked a bit stupid as I confronted him though. I rushed towards him all aggressive as if to punch him only to point at my ear and say "look what you did you prick!!"

Things got more heated after that and the guy in question ended up getting himself sent off. It didn't help us though as we ended up losing the game by that single goal! We dug in towards the end and gave it everything but it wasn't to be. That was my first taste of defeat with the Tudor Arms and it wasn't the best way to start my birthday weekend.....................although a few beers in the pub after soon cheered me up!! As soon as the guys heard that it was my birthday it wasn't long before I was confronted by a milky pink concoction courtesy of Barry! I'm not sure what was in it but it tasted pretty good!!

It was at the pub that my ear began bleeding from the inside. I didn't think it was anything to be concerned about but as soon as I told Aicha what had happened she was straight onto the Internet to check if it could be serious. She spoke with Sweden's equivalent to NHS direct and they advised that I should go to the emergency room and have it checked out. At first I didn't want to go..................not just because I don't like hospitals but mainly because I didn't want to ruin our Saturday night! I knew it was the right thing to do though so off we went to A&E.

As this was a Saturday night I was expecting us to wait for hours surrounded by a bunch of pissheads........................but surprisingly I was the only drunk person and I got seen in less than 10 minutes! Luckily for me there was no serious damage, just some swelling. They just bandaged me up and sent me on my way...................and also charged me £40 for the privilege!!


By the morning the swelling had gone down and I was able to celebrate my birthday with no problems..................other than a slight hangover! Aicha bought me several presents such as dvd's and aftershave, and as a birthday treat she had also arranged to take me to a place in the city called 'Fåfängan' for a brunch buffet. I had not officially been for a 'brunch' before so I was looking forward it! The food there was great. They had everything from pancakes to fresh salmon! I did my usual thing of over eating but it was well worth it!

After that we headed home to see the rest of the family. It was also the birthday of our nephew Younes so in the afternoon we had a family meal consisting of freshly baked pies followed by cake. I had celebrated my birthday in Sweden a few years ago and Aicha's mum had made a frozen cake which I really liked. She made the same cake for us this year and again it didn't disappoint!


After dinner I caught up with my family back home via skype and thanked them for the cards that sent to me. I am going back to Brighton next week and I am really looking forward to seeing everyone again, but it would have been great to see them in person on my birthday...................but I guess you can't always have your cake and eat it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment